Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #450-9: Caitríona Ní Luasa
- 22 October 2014
- From Cúil Aodha, Macroom, Co. Cork, Caitríona Ní Luasa plays a reel: “The Fisherman’s Island” (by Ed Reavy) in the Senior Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.
- ComhaltasLive #450-8: Claire Ann Kearns
- 21 October 2014
- “Lad O’Byrne’s Hornpipe” (by Ed Reavy) played by Claire Ann Kearns, CCÉ Killeigh, Co. Offaly in the Senior Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.
- ComhaltasLive #450-7: Paul Clesham
- 20 October 2014
- Taking second place in Senior Concertina at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo, Paul Clesham plays a reel. Paul is from CCÉ Baile an Daighin, Co. Mayo.
- ComhaltasLive #450-6: Cian Kearns, Caoimhe Kearns & Daithí Gormley
- 19 October 2014
- Taking third place in Senior Trios at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 (left-to-right): Cian Kearns (flute), Caoimhe Kearns (fiddle) and Daithí Gormley (accordion), CCE Paddy Killoran, Sligo, play a jig.
- ComhaltasLive #450-5: Manus Heenan, Keelan McGrath & Blaithín Kennedy
- 18 October 2014
- All-Ireland Trio 12-15 Champions 2013 (left-to-right) Manus Heenan (fiddle), Keelan McGrath (accordion) and Blaithín Kennedy (mandolin) from Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, play a reel - “The Smiling Lady” (by Paddy O’Brien). Recorded in Brú Ború, Cashel, Co. Tipperary on 4th October 2014.
- ComhaltasLive #450-4: Fionn Morrison
- 17 October 2014
- Fionn Morrison, CCÉ Craobh Naithí, Dublin, who took third place in the Senior Flute Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 plays two reels - “Drummer Kane” and “Gowlan Road Reel”. Recorded in Clasac Theatre, Clontarf, Co. Dublin on 2nd October 2014.
- ComhaltasLive #450-3: Dylan Foley
- 16 October 2014
- All-Ireland Senior Fiddle Champion 2014 Dylan Foley, Bronx, New York, USA plays the jig “The Nightingale” (by Seán Ryan) in the competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014.
- ComhaltasLive #450-2: Eoin Mac Cionnaith
- 15 October 2014
- Hornpipe played by Eoin Mac Cionnaith, CCÉ Clogher Valley, Co. Tyrone in the Senior Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.