Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #445-9: Naomh Pádraig Grúpa Cheoil Under-15
- 22 August 2014
- Naomh Pádraig Grúpa Cheoil Under-15 from CCÉ Coalisland Clonoe, Co. Tyrone, play a selection of tunes: “Sweet Fair Lady” and “Brendan Ryan’s Jig” at an open-air performance at Ulster Fleadh Cheoil 2014 in Dromore, Co. Tyrone.
- ComhaltasLive #445-8: Chris Maguire & Ronan Warnock
- 21 August 2014
- All-Ireland Senior Button Accordion Champion 2013, Chris Maguire, Irvinestown, Co. Fermanagh plays three hornpipes - “Chief O’Neill’s”, “The Flowing Tide” (by Seán Ryan) and “The Slopes of Benbulbin” (by John Regan) at an informal session at the Ulster Fleadh Cheoil 2014 in Dromore, Co. Tyrone. Piano Accompaniment is by Ronan Warnock from Trillick, Co. Tyrone who was All-Ireland Champion in 2010.
- ComhaltasLive #445-7: Kerri Whitley
- 20 August 2014
- After taking first place in the Under-15 Banjo competition at the Ulster Fleadh 2014 in Dromore, Co. Tyrone, Kerri Whitley from Irvinestown, Co. Tyrone plays “The Queen of the Fair Jig”.
- ComhaltasLive #445-6: The Breffni Under-18 Céilí Band
- 19 August 2014
- The Breffni Under-18 Céilí Band from Cavan town play a selection of reels commencing with “The Fisherman’s Island” at the Ulster Fleadh 2014 in Dromore, Co. Tyrone.
- ComhaltasLive #445-5: Shane & Ciarán Maguire
- 18 August 2014
- All-Ireland Under-12 Banjo Champion 2013, Shane Maguire, CCÉ Corcaghan, Co. Monaghan plays “The Spotted Dog” jig at the Ulster Fleadh 2014 in Dromore, Co. Tyrone. Bodhrán accompaniment is by Shane’s brother Ciarán.
- ComhaltasLive #445-4: Mialoon O’Donnell
- 17 August 2014
- “The Moving Cloud” reel played by concert flute player Mialoon O’Donnell from CCÉ Newcastle, Co. Down at the Ulster Fleadh 2014 in Dromore, Co. Tyrone.
- ComhaltasLive #445-3: Niamh Maguire
- 16 August 2014
- Just after winning the Ulster 12-15 Fiddle Competition 2014, Niamh Maguire, CCÉ Corcaghan, Co. Monaghan plays a three-part jig “ Only for Barney”.
- ComhaltasLive #445-2: Tomás Quinn & Ryan Kelly
- 15 August 2014
- All-Ireland Senior Banjo Champion 2013 Tomás Quinn plays two reels - “The Green Mountain” and “Sheila Coyle’s” with guitar accompaniment by Ryan Kelly. They are both from Dromore, Co. Tyrone. Recorded at the Ulster Fleadh 2014 in Dromore.