Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #446-7: Scoil Éigse Tutors
- 3 September 2014
- Scoil Éigse Tutors at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 - Macdara Ó Raghallaigh, Geraldine O’Callaghan, Paul McGlinchy, Micheál Ó Raghallaigh and Danny Mahoney play a selection of reels -”Martin Wynne’s”, “Kiss Me Kate” and “Anderson’s”.
- ComhaltasLive #446-6: Laura Brogan, Ryan Hackett & Karl Sweeney
- 2 September 2014
- “The Green Island” hornpipe played in the Under-18 Trios Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo by Laura Brogan, Ryan Hackett and Karl Sweeney from CCÉ Clogher Valley, Co. Tyrone.
- ComhaltasLive #446-5: The Mac Cionnaith Family
- 1 September 2014
- Taking second place in the Under-1 Trios Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo, the Mac Cionnaith family - Peadar, James and Sinéad - from Clogher Valley, Co. Tyrone play a reel: “The Morning Thrush”.
- ComhaltasLive #446-4: Scoil Éigse Tutors Play Jigs
- 29 August 2014
- Two jigs - “The New York” and “Larry O’Gaff’s” - played by Scoil Éigse Tutors 2014 - Cian Kearins, Niamh O’Sullivan, Gary Lynch, Síofra McHugh and Breda Shannon with Maria Lynn McHugh on piano.
- ComhaltasLive #446-3: Scoil Éigse Tutors
- 28 August 2014
- Scoil Éigse Tutors at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo, Eamon Cotter, Sabina and Pádraig McGovern and Pádraig King play two reels - “Lucy Campbell’s” and “I wish I never saw you”.
- ComhaltasLive #446-2: The Connolly Family
- 27 August 2014
- Three generations of the Connolly family play at a session at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann in Sligo 2014. Martin, originally from Killaloe and now living in Ennis, Co. Clare plays accordion, his son Damien, now living in Connecticut, USA plays fiddle. Damien’s wife Sally plays flute and their son Colman plays piano. They play reels - “The Ash Plant” and “The Galway Rambler”. Martin is of course the manufacturer of the popular Kincora accordion brand.
- ComhaltasLive #446-1: Killarney CCÉ Set Dancers
- 26 August 2014
- Taking second place in the 15-18 Ladies Full Set at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo, Killarney CCÉ, Spa, Co. Kerry dance the Cavan Reel set figure three. The dancers are Áine Brosnan, Alice Culloty, Anna O’Connor, Ciara O’Shea, Julie Kelly, Katie O’Connor, Sarah Kenny, Shola Koschan.
- ComhaltasLive #445 (Full Programme)
- 25 August 2014
- ComhaltasLive Programme #445.