Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #454 (Full Programme)
- 22 December 2014
- ComhaltasLive Programme #454.
- ComhaltasLive #454-10: Sarah O’Gorman & Clara Mannion Play a Reel
- 21 December 2014
- All-Ireland Under-18 Duet Champions 2014 Sarah O’Gorman (fiddle) and Clara Mannion (concertina) from CCÉ Craobh na gCumarach, Co. Waterford play a reel - “The Old Oak Tree” in the competition.
- ComhaltasLive #454-9: Sarah O’Gorman & Clara Mannion
- 20 December 2014
- Taking first place in Under-18 Duets at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014, Sarah O’Gorman (fiddle) and Clara Mannion (concertina), CCÉ Craobh na gCumarach, Co. Waterford play a hornpipe.
- ComhaltasLive #454-8: Christina Ní Dhomhnaill & Séamus Ó Thiearnáin
- 19 December 2014
- From Co. Mayo, Christina Ní Dhomhnaill and Séamus Ó Thiearnáin play a jig in Under-18 Duets at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.
- ComhaltasLive #454-7: Áine Duffy & Caoimhe Blennerhassett
- 18 December 2014
- Reel played in Under-18 Duets at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 by Áine Duffy (concertina) and Caoimhe Blennerhassett, CCÉ Craobh Naithí, Dublin.
- ComhaltasLive #454-6: Niamh & Ruadhraí Howell
- 17 December 2014
- Taking third place in Under-18 Duets at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 Niamh and Ruadhraí Howell, CCÉ Newcastle, Co. Down, play “The Premier Reel” (P. O’Brien).
- ComhaltasLive #454-5: Roscrea CCÉ Dancers
- 16 December 2014
- Taking first place in Ladies Under-18 Eight-Hand Céilí Dancing, Roscrea CCÉ, Co. Tipperary at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.
- ComhaltasLive #454-4: Scoil Éigse Tutors
- 15 December 2014
- Scoil Éigse Tutors at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo (left-to-right): Deirdre Granville, Eilís Ó Sullivan, Aoife Granville and John Wynne play three reels - “The Crosses of Annagh”, “Dunmore Lassies” and “London Lassies”.