Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #453-5: Rose Flanagan, Bridget O’Donnell & Attracta Brady
- 28 November 2014
- Three fiddle players: Rose Flanagan and Bridget O’Donnell, both from New York, and Attracta Brady, Killeagh, Co. Offaly play “The Marathon Hornpipe” composed by Attracta’s late father John Brady. Recorded at a session at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014.
- ComhaltasLive #453-4: Tiarna Rowsome
- 27 November 2014
- Tiarna Rowsome (from the famed Rowsome family in Dublin) plays a reel on concertina: “The Pigeon on the Post” during Scoil Éigse at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.
- ComhaltasLive #453-3: Nada Ní Churraoin
- 26 November 2014
- Nada Ní Churraoin, CCÉ An Clochán, Galway who took second place in the Under-15 Tin Whistle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 plays a jig: “The Knights of St. Patrick” during a Scoil Éigse break at the Fleadh.
- ComhaltasLive #453-2: Nada Ní Churraoin & Orla Leavy
- 25 November 2014
- All-Ireland Under-15 Duet Champions 2014 Nada Ní Churraoin on concertina and Orla Leavy on fiddle from CCÉ An Clochán, Galway play a jig: “An Pangur Bán” (by Liz Keane). Recorded during an interval during Scoil Éigse at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.
- ComhaltasLive #453-1: Ciarán Hanna
- 24 November 2014
- All-Ireland Senior Concertina Champion for 2014 Ciarán Hanna CCÉ, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone plays “Gilbert Glancy’s Reel”. The Larry Kinsella Trophy is presented to Ciarán by the late Larry’s wife Margaret.
- ComhaltasLive #452 (Full Programme)
- 19 November 2014
- ComhaltasLive Programme #452.
- ComhaltasLive #452-9: Amy Murphy
- 18 November 2014
- Concertina player Amy Murphy, Lackagh, Co. Galway plays the jig “The Battering Ram” during an informal session at Scoil Éigse at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.
- ComhaltasLive #452-8: Nada Ní Churraoin, Patrick Finlay, Orla Leavy, & Amy Murphy
- 17 November 2014
- Four musicians attending Scoil Éigse at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo play a selection of reels : “Colley’s” and “Dowd’s”. They are (left-to-right) Nada Ní Churraoin, CCÉ An Clochán, Galway on concertina; Patrick Finlay, Atlanta, Georgia, USA on fiddle; Orla Leavy, CCÉ An Clochán, Galway on fiddle and Amy Murphy, Lackagh, Co. Galway on concertina. Incidentally Nada and Orla won the Under-15 Duets Competition.