Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #451-4: Cathal Ó Crócaigh
- 30 October 2014
- All-Ireland Champion on Senior Uilleann Pipes 2014, Cathal Ó Crócaigh, CCÉ, Craobh Naithí, Dublin plays three reels - “Last House in Connaught”, “Tom Moylan’s Frolics” and “Famous Ballymote”. Recorded in Clasac Theatre, Dublin on 2nd October 2014.
- ComhaltasLive #451-3: Colm Slattery
- 29 October 2014
- From Ballycommon CCÉ, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, Colm Slattery who took second place in the 15-18 Button Accordion Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo plays a selection of reels commencing with “Paddy Conny’s”. Recorded at the Tipperary prize-winners concert in Brú Ború on 4th October 2014.
- ComhaltasLive #451-2: Templemichael Céilí Band
- 28 October 2014
- Templemichael Céilí Band, CCÉ Anne Devlin, Wicklow play a selection of jigs in the the Senior Céilí Band Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo - “The Piper’s Inn” and “John McMahon’s”. Band members are Elaine Gleeson, Catriona O’Brien, Rory Healy and Denis Ryan on fiddles; Pat Fitzpatrick and Gerry O’Donnell on flutes; John Bass, accordion; Pat Bass, banjo; Karen Ní Bhroin, piano and Jason McGuinness, drums.
- ComhaltasLive #451-1: Leeds Céilí Band
- 27 October 2014
- After a little presentation adjustment Leeds Céilí Band from Britain play a selection of reels at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo. The reels are “The Fox on the Prowl” and “The Traveller”. Band members are Fraser Howitt, Karen Lacy-Roberts, Elizabeth Gaughan and Ian Pearson on fiddles; Rachel Howitt and Michael Walsh on flutes; John Duffy, accordion; Patrick Flannery, banjo; Michelle O’Leary, piano and Jim Delaney on drums.
- ComhaltasLive #450 (Full Programme)
- 23 October 2014
- ComhaltasLive Programme #450.
- ComhaltasLive #450-10: Newcastle Set Dancers
- 22 October 2014
- All-Ireland Champions 2014 in Ladies’ Senior Eight-Hand Céilí Dancing Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014, Newcastle (Sinéad Grant) set dancers from CCÉ Newcastle, Co. Tipperary. Members of the group are Nicole Lonergan, Ciara Gough, Shannon Fitzpatrick, Leah Condon, Rosie McCarra, Sinéad Grant, Treasa McGrath and Veronica McNamara. Recorded in Brú Ború, Cashel, Co. Tipperary on 4th October 2014.
- ComhaltasLive #450-9: Caitríona Ní Luasa
- 21 October 2014
- From Cúil Aodha, Macroom, Co. Cork, Caitríona Ní Luasa plays a reel: “The Fisherman’s Island” (by Ed Reavy) in the Senior Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.
- ComhaltasLive #450-8: Claire Ann Kearns
- 20 October 2014
- “Lad O’Byrne’s Hornpipe” (by Ed Reavy) played by Claire Ann Kearns, CCÉ Killeigh, Co. Offaly in the Senior Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.