Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #448-5: Aislinn Fegan
- 21 September 2014
- After taking first place in All-Ireland Under-18 Banjo Competition, Aislinn Fegan, CCÉ Rinn Mhic Giolla Rua, Co. Down plays a reel - “The Kylebrack Rambler” - in a street session at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014. Aisling is daughter of the late Caroline Judge, a highly respected accordion player and member of the All-Ireland winning St. Colmcille’s Céilí Band from CCÉ St. Abans, England.
- ComhaltasLive #448-4: Eadaoin Ní Mhaicín with Ann Marie and Catherine Bell
- 20 September 2014
- At a street session a Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo, fiddle player Eadaoin Ní Mhaicín from CCÉ Castlebar, Co. Mayo is joined by sisters Ann Marie and Catherine Bell, Sligo on concertina and flute. They play a selection of reel: “Gregg’s Pipes” and “M and M”.
- ComhaltasLive #448-3: Séamus Wick
- 19 September 2014
- From New Jersey USA, Séamus Wick plays a reel, “The Bunch of Keys” in the Under-18 Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.
- ComhaltasLive #448-2: Meabh Nic Gabhann
- 18 September 2014
- Meabh Nic Gabhann, CCÉ, Naomh Mochna, Armagh plays “The High Level Hornpipe” in the Under-18 Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.
- ComhaltasLive #448-1: Sarah O’Gorman
- 17 September 2014
- Taking first place in the Under-18 Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo, Sarah O’Gorman plays a jig, Sarah is from CCÉ, Craobh na gCumarach, Waterford.
- ComhaltasLive #447 (Full Programme)
- 13 September 2014
- ComhaltasLive Programme #447.
- ComhaltasLive #447-8: Eibhlin de Barra
- 12 September 2014
- Taking second place in the Under-18 Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo, Eibhlin de Barra, Gort na mBó, Mayo plays “Lucy Campbell’s Reel”.
- ComhaltasLive #447-7: Ruadhraí & Séamus O’Kane
- 11 September 2014
- At an afternoon concert at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Hawk’s Well Theatre in Sligo presented by an Rúnaí CCÉ James Ó Maoldonnaigh, Ruadhraí O’Kane on fiddle accompanied by his father Séamus on bodhrán plays a selection of reels: “Clancy’s Fancy” and “Finbar O’Dwyer’s”. Incidentally Séamus manufactures bodhráns and harps and Ruadhraí has composed some tunes.