Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #443-1: St. Roch’s Céilí Band
- 22 July 2014
- From Glasgow, Scotland, St. Roch’s Céilí Band at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013 in Derry playing two reels - “Kevin Burke’s” and “Donnellan’s Delight” (by Paddy O’Brien). Band members are: Mairéad canning, Eileen Grant, Patricia McArdle, and Danny Boyle (flutes), Paddy Callaghan (accordion), Cathriona McArdle (concertina), Alan Costello (piano) and Aidan Sharkey (drums).
- ComhaltasLive #442 (Full Programme)
- 21 July 2014
- ComhaltasLive Programme #442.
- ComhaltasLive #442-9: Sean Keane
- 15 July 2014
- In the Senior Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013 in Derry, Sean Keane from Leixlip, Co. Kildare plays a jig - “The Maid at the Spinning Wheel”.
- ComhaltasLive #442-8: The Lough Oughter Céilí Band
- 14 July 2014
- Playing at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013 in Derry, The Lough Oughter Céilí Band from Killeshandra, Co. Cavan play “Bantry Bay Hornpipe”.
Band members are Mariesa Dolan, Ursula Finnegan and Lorcan Brady (fiddles), Cein Sweeney and Amanda Finnegan (flutes), Donal O’Reilly (accordion), Andrew McGovern (banjo), Ronan Sweeney (pipes), Conor Kiernan (piano) and Martin Smith (drums).
- ComhaltasLive #442-7: The Temple Michael Céilí Band
- 13 July 2014
- Taking third place at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013 in Derry, The Temple Michael Céilí Band, Co. Wicklow play a selection of jigs - “Mulhaire’s” and “The Frost is All Over”.
Band members are Katie Cullen, Courtney Cullen, Rory Healy and Cathriona O’Brien (fiddles), Pat Fitzpatrick and Gerry O’Donnell (flutes), John Bass (accordion), Derek O’Neill (banjo), Pat Bass (piano) and Jason McGuiness (drums).
- ComhaltasLive #442-6: Ronan & Cian Sweeney
- 12 July 2014
- From Killeshandra, Co. Cavan brothers Ronan (pipes) and Cian Sweeney (flute) play two jigs - “Feehily’s” and “The Whistler at the Wake”. Recorded in Boylan’s Pub, Kilnaleck, Co. Cavan, 7th March 2014.
- ComhaltasLive #442-5: Comhaltas Concert Tour of Britain
- 11 July 2014
- A selection of jigs - “The Humours of Ballingarry” and “Liam O’Connor’s” - from the Comhaltas Concert Tour of Britain, February 2014.
- ComhaltasLive #442-4: Conor Walshe
- 10 July 2014
- A solo set-dance - “The Orange Rogue” - danced by Conor Walshe on the Comhaltas Concert Tour of Britain, February 2014. Music is by Clara Mannion (concertina) and Damien McGuinness (accordion).