Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- comhaltasLive #466_4:Musicians and Dancers of the famous Brú Ború Group
- 5 May 2015
- Musicians and Dancers of the famous Brú Ború Group, Cashel, Co. Tipperary with a Jig and “Miss McCleod’s” Reel on the occasion of the presentation of the European Citizen’s Prize to Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann on 24th January 2015.
- comhaltasLive #466_3:Multi-instrumentalist Éadaoin Ní Mhaicín
- 4 May 2015
- Multi-instrumentalist Éadaoin Ní Mhaicín from CCÉ, Caisleán a Bharraigh, Maigh Eo, plays “Tommy Coen’s reel” in Senior Fiddle competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.
- comhaltasLive #466_2:Concertina player Tiarna Rowsome
- 2 May 2015
- Concertina player Tiarna Rowsome, representing the younger generation of the Rowsome family plays a Reel - “The Pidgeon on the post”, at the special Tribute Concert honouring Tomás Ó Maoldomhnaigh’ s outstanding service to Comhaltas, at Tionól Leo Rowsome at Cultúrlann na hÉireann in Sept. 2014
- comhaltasLive #466:Tomás Ó Maoldomhnaigh and his family play a selection of reels
- 1 May 2015
- Tomás Ó Maoldomhnaigh (Cappamore, Co. Limerick) and his family play a selection of Reels - “Kiss the maid behind the barrel”, “Launching the boat” and “Music in the glen”, at a special Tribute to Tomás at Tionól Leo Rowsome at Cultúrlann na hÉireann in Sept. 2014 in recognition of his outstanding service to Comhaltas. Tomás has been Árd-Rúnaí of Comhaltas since 1999.
L/R - Tomás, Mags, Marcus, Ronan, Gerard and Geraldine.
- comhaltasLive #465_full:
- 29 April 2015
- Comhaltas live full program 465
- comhaltasLive #465_11:All-Ireland accordion champion 2008 Darren Breslin
- 28 April 2015
- All-Ireland accordion champion 2008 Darren Breslin from Lisnaskeagh, Co. Fermanagh, plays a hornpipe - “Fly by night”, with piano accompaniment by current All-Ireland Champion Mark McCrystal, CCÉ, Clogher Valley, Co. Tyrone. Recorded at NYAH Festival Cavan 2015.
- comhaltasLive #465_10:Fiddle player Éamon McGivney
- 27 April 2015
- Fiddle player Éamon McGivney plays 2 reels “The Bank of Ireland” and “Thady Casey’s”, at Cavan NYAH Festival 2015. Originally from Co. Longford, Éamon is, for many years, one of the organisers of the annual Willie Clancy Summer School in Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare.
- comhaltasLive #465_8:Kyle Burghout from CCÉ
- 25 April 2015
- Kyle Burghout from CCÉ, Ottawa, Canada, plays a 3-part jig - “The Caves of Kiltanan” in Senior Fiddle competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2014 in Sligo.