Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #443-9: Aoife Nic Dhomhnaill
- 31 July 2014
- From Dublin, Aoife Nic Dhomhnaill plays “The Foxhunter’s Reel” in the Under-18 Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013 in Derry.
- ComhaltasLive #443-8: Nell Ní Cheallaigh
- 30 July 2014
- In the Under-18 Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013 in Derry, Nell Ní Cheallaigh, CCÉ Fred Finn, Sligo a jig - “Buttermilk Mary”.
- ComhaltasLive #443-7: The Knockmore Céilí Band
- 29 July 2014
- Taking second place at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013 in Derry, The Knockmore Michael Céilí Band, CCÉ Botha, Co. Fermanagh play “The Pride of Erin March”.
Band members are: Niall Murphy, Maria Connelly and Maggie Maguire (fiddles), Ashling McPhillips and Brena Maguire (flutes), Chris Maguire (accordion), Ciarán Hanna (concertina), Brona Graham (banjo), Ronan Warnock (piano) and Kieran Leonard (drums).
- ComhaltasLive #443-6: Caoimhe Kearns
- 27 July 2014
- From CCÉ Ballymote, Co. Sligo, Caoimhe Kearns plays a hornpipe - “Quinn of Armagh” (by Ed Reavy) in the Senior Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013 in Derry.
- ComhaltasLive #443-5: Dylan Foley
- 26 July 2014
- Taking second place in the Senior Fiddle Competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013 in Derry, Dylan Foley from the Bronx, New York, USA plays a jig - “Langstrom’s Pony”.
- ComhaltasLive #443-4: Jayne Pomplas
- 25 July 2014
- New York fiddle player Jayne Pomplas plays the reel “Jenny’s Welcome to Charlie” at the Comhaltas North American Convention 2014 in New Jersey.
- ComhaltasLive #443-3: John Nolan
- 24 July 2014
- Accordion craftsman and All-Ireland Champion 1982 John Nolan from New York, USA plays one of his own compositions - “Fr. Charlie’s Hornpipe” in honour of fellow musician Fr. Charlie Coen, originally from Woodford, Co. Galway and a very influential musician over many decades in New York. Fr. Charlie is sitting beside John in this recording made in Parsippany, New Jersey in April 2014.
- ComhaltasLive #443-2: The Laurel Tree Céilí Band
- 23 July 2014
- From Leicester, England the Laurel Tree Céilí Band play two reels - “The Doon” and “Shehan’s” - at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013 in Derry. Band members are John Burke, Moya Townsend, Eilish Byrne and Johnny Murphy Whelehan (fiddles), Eddie O’Donnell and Dave Lambe (flutes), Carmel Burke and Theresa Coleman (accordions), Eilish Commins (piano) and Debbie Lynch (drums).