Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #514_4:Tiarnán and Breandán O’ Connell
- 26 April 2017
- From Barnacullia, Sandyford, Dublin, Tiarnán and Breandán O’ Connell, on banjo and bodhrán respectively, play a selection of 3 Jigs ending with ’The Czar of Munster’. Recorded at Comhaltas headquarters, Cultúrlann na hÉireann, Monkstown, Dublin on 20th March 2017. Sincere thanks to Bernard O’ Sullivan for all his help in organising the recording.
- ComhaltasLive #514_3:Christina Smith
- 25 April 2017
- Christina Smith, CCE, Irish Ministrels, Glasgow, Scotland, plays a reel The Green Fields of Glentown in the Senior Fiddle Competition.
- ComhaltasLive #514_2:Ann Marie Bell
- 24 April 2017
- Ann Marie Bell from CCÉ Fred Finn, Sligo plays a jig in senior Concertina competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann.
- ComhaltasLive #514_1:Kyle Burghout
- 23 April 2017
- Kyle Burghout from CCÉ, Ottawa, Canada, plays a reel in Senior Fiddle competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2015 in Sligo.
- ComhaltasLive #513_Full Program
- 22 April 2017
- ComhaltasLive #513_15:The Brosna Céilí Band
- 21 April 2017
- The Brosna Céilí Band from Co. Kerry play Jigs - “The road to Lisdoonvarna” and “Willie Coleman’s”, in the senior Céilí Bands competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare.
Members of the band are Ann Marie Fitzgerald, Jean Scannell and Christine Mulcahy on fiddles; Claire Heffernan and John McNulty on flutes; Kenneth Browne on button accordion; Greta Curtin on concertina; Darragh Horan on banjo; Dan Sheahan on piano and Pat Mulcahy on drums.
- ComhaltasLive #513_14:Emma Corbett and Thomas Ahern
- 20 April 2017
- All-Ireland 15-18 Duet champions 2016, Emma Corbett and Thomas Ahern, CCÉ, Ballyduff/B’vella/Ballysaggart, Co. Waterford, play a Reel “Bonny Kate” in the competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare.
- ComhaltasLive #513_13:Orla Leavy
- 19 April 2017
- Orla Leavy from CCÉ, Carna, Co. Galway, plays a Reel in 15-18 Fiddle competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare.