Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #505_11: 15-18 Trios competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016
- 4 December 2016
- Taking 3rd place in 15-18 Trios competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016, Peter, James and Sinéad Nic Cionnaith, CCÉ, Clogher Valley, Co. Tyrone, play a Reel.
- ComhaltasLive #505_10:Bláithín Kennedy
- 3 December 2016
- Bláithín Kennedy from Ormond CCÉ, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, plays a Jig in 15-18 Fiddle competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare.
- ComhaltasLive #505_9:Senan Ó Móráin
- 2 December 2016
- Taking 3rd place in 15-18 Fiddle competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016, Senan Ó Móráin from Cúil an tSúdaire, Co. Laois, plays “Dowd’s reel”.
- comhaltasLive #505_8:Tigh na Coille Céilí Band
- 1 December 2016
- In Senior Céilí Bands competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare, Tigh na Coille Céilí Band, CCÉ, Craobh na Coradh, Co. Clare, play a Set-dance - “Rodney’s glory”.
Band members are Sarah O’ Gorman, Denis Liddy and Dónal Ó Críodán on fiddles; Marian Curtin and Eamonn Cotter on flutes; Derek Hickey, accordion; Frances Cunningham, concertina; Liam Flanagan, banjo; Elvie Miller, piano and Séan Griffin on drums.
- ComhaltasLive #505_7:Christina Smith
- 30 November 2016
- Christina Smith, CCÉ, Irish Minstrels, Glasgow, plays “Tommy People’s jig” in the Senior Fiddle competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016.
- ComhaltasLive #505_6:Sky Kelsey
- 29 November 2016
- Sky Kelsey from CCÉ, Four Peaks Irish Arts, Chandler, AZ, USA, plays “The stage hornpipe” in the Senior Fiddle competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016.
- ComhaltasLive #505_5:Eamon Cotter
- 28 November 2016
- Flute player/maker Eamon Cotter plays a selection of Reels - “Liz Carroll’s” and “Trim the velvet” at Scoil Éigse Tutors Concert at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare. Piano accompaniment is by Maria Lynn McHugh.
- ComhaltasLive #505_4:Scoil Éigse Tutors
- 27 November 2016
- Scoil Éigse Tutors at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare - Sabina and Pádraig McGovern, Pádraig King and Maria Lynn McHugh on piano, play a selection of Reels starting with “Lucy Campbell’s”. They are joined by sean-nós dancer/tutor Sharleen McCaffrey.