Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #508_8:Tigh na Coille Céilí Band
- 18 January 2017
- In Senior Céilí Bands competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare, Tigh na Coille Céilí Band, CCÉ, Craobh na Coradh, Co. Clare, play a selection of Jigs commencing with “O’ Mahoney’s frolics”.
Band members are Sarah O’ Gorman, Denis Liddy and Dónal Ó Críodán on fiddles; Marian Curtin and Eamonn Cotter on flutes; Derek Hickey, accordion; Frances Cunningham, concertina; Liam Flanagan, banjo; Elvie Miller, piano and Séan Griffin on drums.
- ComhaltasLive #508_7:Scoil Éigse Tutors at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016
- 17 January 2017
- Scoil Éigse Tutors at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016, L/R Kathleen Boyle, Joannie Madden, Adrian and Attracta Brady and Janine Redmond play a selection of Reels “Dan Breen” and “Mossy Banks”.
- ComhaltasLive #508_6:The Pearl River Céili Band
- 16 January 2017
- The Pearl River Céili Band from CCÉ, Martin Mulvihill, New York, USA, play a selection of Reels “Congress” and “London Lassies” in the All-Ireland Senior Céilí Band competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare. Band members are - Rose Flanagan, Dylan Foley and John Reynolds on fiddles; Margie Mulvihill and Eileen Goodman on flutes; Damien Connolly and Patty Furlong on accordions; Bernadette Conneely on banjo; Hughie Boyle on piano and Ronan Mulligan on drums.
- ComhaltasLive #508_5:Senior Trios at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016
- 15 January 2017
- Taking 2nd place In Senior Trios at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016, Máire and Deirdre De Barra and Caoimhin De Burca, CCÉ, Gort na mBó, Co. Mayo play a Jig “The stormy night” (P. O’ Brien).
- ComhaltasLive #508_4:Senior Trios competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016
- 14 January 2017
- Taking 1st place in Senior Trios competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016, Cormac Mac Aodhagáin and Áine and Ciarán Mac Gearailt, CCÉ, Cr. Bheartla Uí Fhlatharta, Co. Kildare, play a Jig “Kit O’ Mahoney’s”.
- ComhaltasLive #508_3:A group of musicians from Dublin City University
- 13 January 2017
- A group of musicians from Dublin City University (DCU) are joined by their colleagues, world champion dancers Shauna Maguire from Cavan and Michelle Doherty from Donegal for a selection of Slip Jigs “Tigh Rafferty” and “Gort na móna”. The musicians are Back Row L/R Mark Swain, Pádraig Clancy, Éadaoin Ní Mhaicín and Hannah Rhattigan; Front Row L/R Niamh Molloy, Ruth Dolan and Paul O’ Sullivan.
Recorded on 1st December 2016, with sincere thanks to Professor Daire Keogh, Deputy President DCU, and to well known Composer Dr John Buckley, Music Lecturer in Dept. of Theology, Philosophy and Music at DCU, for their very kind invitation and for their help and courtesy. At the end of the selection Dr John Buckley outlines some of the benefits (for trad music in DCU) of some of the major changes which have taken place in the University over the last couple of years.
Thanks also to Éadaoin Ní Mhaicín and Paul O’ Sullivan for organising the recording and for making it such an enjoyable occasion. We will be featuring many other recordings from the occasion in upcoming Comhaltas Live programmes. (See also Prog. 507.2)
- ComhaltasLive #508_2:Niamh Maguire and Aoife McCabe
- 12 January 2017
- n 15-18 Duets at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016, Niamh Maguire and Aoife McCabe from CCÉ, Aughnamullen/Corcaghan, Co. Monaghan, play a Reel “Phyllis’s birthday” (J. Marsh).
- ComhaltasLive #508_1:The Beartla Ó Flatharta Céili Band
- 11 January 2017
- The Beartla Ó Flatharta Céili Band, from Co. Kildare play a Barndance ”Peach Blossoms” in the Senior Céilí Band competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare. Members of the Band are - Ruth Boylan, Finola Lawlor, Gary Lynch and Fergal O’ Neill on fiddles; Ferdia Ó Mongáin and Elaine Clarke on flutes; Róisín Ní Fhlatharta on accordion; Gearóid Ó Catháin on concertina; Declan Magee on piano and Úna Ní Fhlatharta on drums.