Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #510_10:The Abhainn Glas Céilí Band
- 22 February 2017
- The Abhainn Glas Céilí Band from CCÉ, Joe Callaghan, Meathas Troim, Co. Longford, play a March - “Brian O’ Kane’s” - in Senior Céilí Band competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare. Members of the band are - Irene Guckian, Aishling O’ Reilly and Amanda Sweeney on fiddles; Noel Sweeney and Shane Ryan on flutes; Michael Lennon (accordion); Donna McCann (concertina); Owen Smith (banjo); Liz Ryan (piano) and Hughie Smith on drums.
- ComhaltasLive #510_9:Scoil Éigse tutors at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016
- 21 February 2017
- Scoil Éigse tutors at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016, Mary and Josephine Nugent and Brian Stafford play a selection of Jigs - “Garret Barry’s” and “Whistle and I’ll come to you”, at the Scoil Éigse Tutors Concert.
- ComhaltasLive #510_8: Molly Doherty and Colm McMahon
- 20 February 2017
- In 15-18 Duets at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016, Molly Doherty and Colm McMahon from CCÉ, Tullycorbett, Co. Monaghan, play a Hornpipe - “Fly by night”.
- ComhaltasLive #510_7:Mairi Therese Deighan and Benedict Morris
- 19 February 2017
- Mairi Therese Deighan and Benedict Morris, CCÉ, Irish Minstrels, Glasgow and St. Patrick’s, Coatbridge, Glasgow, Scotland, play a Reel by Paddy O’ B rien in 15-18 Duets at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare.
- ComhaltasLive #510_6:The Herschel Arms CéilI Band
- 18 February 2017
- The Herschel Arms CéilI Band, CCÉ, East London, plays a selection of Jigs - “The queen of Mayo” (C. Lennon) and “The coming of Spring” (P. O’ Brien) - in Senior Céilí Band competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare. Band members are Sam Proctor, Angela Brooks and Laura O’ Grady on fiddles; Orlaith McAuliffe and Catherine O’ Grady on flutes; Steve Prosol on accordion; Brogan McAuliffe on concertina; Tim O’ Dowd on pipes; Colin Dongle on piano and Jack Boyle on drums.
- ComhaltasLive #510_5: Fionn Morrison
- 17 February 2017
- All-Ireland senior Uileann Pipes champion 2016, Fionn Morrison, CCÉ, Cr. Naithí, Dublin, plays a selection of Reels - “Castleisland reel” and “Miss Longford”. Recorded at Cultúrlann na hÉireann in Dublin on 9th January 2017.
- ComhaltasLive #510_4:Pearl River Grúpa Cheoi
- 16 February 2017
- Performing their selection in 15-18 Grúpaí Cheoil competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare, Pearl River Grúpa Cheoil from CCÉ, Martin Mulvihill, New York, USA.
- ComhaltasLive #510_3:Máire and Deirdre De Bar ra and Caoimhín De Burca
- 15 February 2017
- Taking 2nd place In Senior Trios at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016, Máire and Deirdre De Bar ra and Caoimhín De Burca, CCÉ, Gort na mBó, Co. Mayo, play a Hornpipe - “Across the fence” (B. McGlinchey).