Comhaltas Video Archive
Irish traditional music is a passionate art form. The energy of dance music and the pathos and humour of traditional singing can be difficult to appreciate unless you have the chance to observe it at close quarters. Short of being there, we think that the ComhaltasLive video programmes give you a great chance to do just that.
We began a project a few years ago to document some of the great performances of traditional music. In association with the Irish International Webcasting Company, the ComhaltasLive project set out to capture some of the current ‘greats’ of traditional music, document some of the promising young stars and also to show music within its historical context by referencing audio and video from the past.
The weekly ComhaltasLive programmes have been well-received, and thousands of people have had a chance to see some of this great music up close and personal. Please take a look at this week’s programme, or browse through excerpts from our past programmes.
Suggest a show
If there’s an event or opportunity coming up that you think we ought to cover, just send us a note and we’ll see what we can do. And if we can’t get there, maybe you’d like to write up the event for our journal, Treoir. Don’t forget to include some photos and, where possible, one or two video clips on DVD which we may be able to upload on to the website.
- ComhaltasLive #503_2:A session at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016
- 24 October 2016
- In a session at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare, Boston based fiddle player Seámus Connolly is joined by fellow fiddlers Ewen Rorie from Orkney Islands, Scotland and Cork native John Daly. They play “The Galway hornpipe” followed by a reel and guitar accompaniment is by Owen Tierney, who is Ewen’s grandfather (originally from Co. Cavan).
- ComhaltasLive #503_1:Ann Marie Bell and Megan Duffy
- 23 October 2016
- Ann Marie Bell and Megan Duffy from CCÉ, Fred Finn, Sligo, play a reel when taking 1st place in Senior Duets competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare.
- ComhaltasLive #502_full:
- 22 October 2016
- Comhaltas Live 502
- ComhaltasLive #502_14:Jake James
- 21 October 2016
- Jake James, CCÉ, Mulligan Quinn, USA, plays a reel in senior fiddle competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare.
- ComhaltasLive #502_13:Caoimhe Millar
- 20 October 2016
- Taking 2nd place in senior button accordion competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare, Caoimhe Millar, CCÉ, Inis Cathaigh, Co. Clare, plays a hornpipe “Munster Grass” (Ed. Reavy).
- ComhaltasLive #502_12:Irvinestown Grúpa Cheoil
- 19 October 2016
- Part of the selection played by Irvinestown Grúpa Cheoil from Co. Fermanagh, in the 15-18 Grúpaí Cheoil competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare.
- ComhaltasLive #502_11:Eimear Arkins
- 18 October 2016
- From St. Louis Irish Arts, MO, USA, Eimear Arkins plays a reel “Maudabawn Chapel” (Ed. Reavy), in senior fiddle competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare. Eimear took 2nd place in fiddle slow airs competition.
- ComhaltasLive #502_10:The Brosna Céilí Band
- 17 October 2016
- The Brosna Céilí Band from Co. Kerry play “Brian O’ Kane’s” march in the senior Céilí Band competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2016 in Ennis, Co. Clare.
Members of the band are Ann Marie Fitzgerald, Jean Scannell and Christine Mulcahy on fiddles; Claire Heffernan and John McNulty on flutes; Kenneth Browne on button accordion; Greta Curtin on concertina; Darragh Horan on banjo; Dan Sheahan on piano and Pat Mulcahy on drums.